Happy Friday! I hope everyone had a great week. I’m sure if you are anything like me, the holidays have hit full force with plans every weekend through the end of the year. If so, the slow cooker can be a lifesaver!
Instead of scrapping your meal prep because you don’t have the time, make it easier by tossing a big pot of soup or chili in the slow cooker. Recipes like this lentil soup are very minimal on actual prep work, and you can let it cook while you are doing other things. Plus, soups just taste better and better as they sit in the refrigerator for leftovers! If you can’t or don’t want to eat it all in one week, this would also freeze perfectly to have on hand in a pinch for later in the month.
Vegan Slow Cooker Red Lentil & Tomato Soup
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil
- 1 (14-ounce) can lite coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, picked through & rinsed
- 1 onion, peeled & diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded & chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 small head of garlic, peeled & minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
Prepare all of your vegetables. Place everything into a 5-6 quart slow cooker and mix together. Cook on high for 4-5 hours.
My original inspiration was to do a version of a tomato basil soup and puree the end product until smooth. I may do that next time I make this recipe, but this time I left it chunky. Feel free to try either way and let me know what you think!