Hey everyone! I can’t believe it, but the 4th of July is almost here!! Another half a year has flown by in the blink of an eye. Since we are right into barbecue season, I’ll share another great vegan bowl option that harnesses all of the great flavors of summer in the South. I originally shared this combo on my Steemit profile for a contest, and surprisingly won first place for the week!
This is a slightly different take on a meal using my strawberry barbecue sauce that I shared a month or so ago. It was so delicious I couldn’t help but use it again. I have also been using a lot of the fresh kohlrabi that has been available at the farmers market, so the slaw is yet another idea for how versatile the veggie can be. The flavors in this bowl work really well together, but you could also keep the components separate to serve. The slaw is so easy that it would be a great addition to bring to any summer cookout!
Kohlrabi, Beet & Fennel Slaw
- 3 small beets, trimmed & cleaned (no need to peel if organic)
- 2 small kohlrabi bulbs, trimmed & peeled
- 1 head of fennel, trimmed–leafy fronds chopped & set aside
- 1 small lime, juice & zest
- 2 tablespoons raspberry white balsamic vinegar (can sub another light vinegar or use more lime juice)
- fresh mint
Shred your beets, kohlrabi, and fennel using a box grater or make it a whole lot easier by using the shredding feature of a food processor. Place in a large bowl and mix with your lime and vinegar. Put in the refrigerator to let sit for a few hours to let the citrus and vinegar really soak into the veggies and impart their flavor to the whole bowl. Mix in the fennel fronds and a handful of chopped fresh mint just before serving.
BBQ Veggie Bowl
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce (1 batch of my strawberry sauce recipe)
- 1 small onion, peeled & chopped
- 2 small green bell peppers, seeded & chopped
- 2 medium zucchini squash, chopped
- 1 (20-ounce) can young jackfruit, rinsed & chopped
- 1 cup cooked beans like cannelini, chickpeas or black beans
- 1 cup rice, quinoa, or other favorite grain (I used black rice this time around)
- leafy greens to serve (yes, I know I put everything over greens, haha!)
- slaw (from above)
Cook your grain of choice according to package directions. Set aside once done. While your grains are cooking, prepare your vegetables.
Warm up a large skillet on the stove top over medium heat. Add in your chopped onion and peppers. Cook for about 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the veggies start to soften. Next mix in your zucchini and continue cooking for another 10 minutes. Add a bit of water as needed to keep the vegetables from sticking.
Once the zucchini is almost cooked through, add your chopped jackfruit, beans and BBQ sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until all of the vegetables are done to your liking and the sauce has started to thicken. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding a bit extra heat or a pinch of salt as needed.
Remove the vegetables from heat and assemble your bowls. Place a handful of leafy greens first, then top with a scoop or two each of the rice, slaw, and veggies depending upon how big your appetite is!
I am sure we will spend some time with friends for the 4th of July, so I am excited to whip up another batch of summer goodness to share with them!